Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Odessey and Oracle



I feel like the first few dozen of my posts are going to be a bit on the obvious side, but I need to get them out of the way nonetheless. Odessey and Oracle is noteable for a bunch of reasons (the least of which is the misspelling of the title). First, it was the first album to be recorded at EMI's Abbey Road studios by a non-EMI/Capitol artist. The Beatles had just finished Sgt. Pepper prior to work commencing on this album. The band broke up before it was released in the U.S., and the U.S. release was in stereo, which required a lengthy remixing process. The original release on CBS in the UK had been mono. Does anyone have an original UK version, which has the uncropped album cover art?

I will say that the recent re-releases of this record on cd have been great, in that they include a ton of material that was left off the record, like "Walking in the Sun", and "She Loves the Way They Love Her"

The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle
CBS - 1968

1 comment:

  1. My all time favorite album! Was lucky to see the Colin and Rod perform some of these songs live a couple years ago. They were billed as The Zombies but it was really just Colin and Rod with a less than authentic backing band. However, their performances of "Care Of Cell 44" "A Rose For Emily" "Friends Of Mine" and of course "Time Of The Season" were fantastic. Colin's voice gave me chills, he sounds EXACTLY like he did as a teenager! I could have done without the lead guitarists hard rock solos and the inclusion of Argent's "Hold Your Head Up" and "God Gave Rock & Roll To You" but overall the show was terrific. They also played some songs I didn't expect like "I Love You" and Colin's Version of "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted."Oh, and "Indication" was soooo great. I heard they did concerts in the UK with the original lineup. That would be amazing to see.

    ReplyDelete