Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Synchronicity



All right, this is a cry for help. Before I get into what is so great about this record, I know that there were 36 differend versions of the original artwork. I only have 2 (one being a signed copy bought from a former A&M executive). Does any crazy fan out there have ALL of them? I would love images of all the covers, and to know if there are any other differences, track sequence, bonuses, etc., that might not be widely known.

It's easy to say that all the Police albums are classics, but there's an intensity to this record, along with Hugh Padgham's fantastic production (recorded at AIR Montserrat!) that still sounds really modern. None of the awful reverbs I tend to associate with early 80's production. It's lean, and very open sounding, and in contrast to Ghost in the Machine, Sting's lead vocals aren't double-tracked on every song, which makes songs like "King of Pain" feel a bit more raw and intimate. Whatever, can't say anything bad about this record, with the exception of "Mother". As much as I revere Andy Summers, its hard to get through that one :)

The Police - Synchronicity
A&M 1983

No comments:

Post a Comment